betterlanguages.com welcomes applications from translators and proofreaders in all language combinations and areas of specialism. Please read this page before applying.
A few essentials when applying as a translator:
- Please be aware that we receive a high volume of applications, so don’t be offended if you don’t receive a personal acknowledgement.
- We only use professional translators, so please only apply if you are a professional translator, stating clearly your qualifications and any professional memberships. Our normal expectation is either a first degree level translation qualification, a degree in languages or an area of specialism and a post graduate level translation qualification, or professional membership.
- Please state clearly your language combinations, qualifications, and areas of specialism.
- We normally only accept translators translating into their mother tongue, very few people are genuinely bilingual, having equal command of a second language.
- We only accept translators CVs in English if the language pair includes English. Please be aware that quality of written language is part of the selection process, so pay attention to detail, and if non-native it’s worth the time and trouble to get your CV checked by a native English translator.
- Please state clearly your rates for translation and any other services offered. Our standard payment terms are 30 days from invoice date. We pay either by UK bank transfer, or make international payments by PayPal or Moneybookers. We only make large international transfers by wire transfer by prior agreement.
- When applying you are responsible for ensuring that you have the legal right to work, and that you fulfil any relevant legislation in your country in terms of employment and tax law. For intra-community services we need a valid tax number to be quoted on your invoices.
- It is very helpful if you include your language combinations and any major specialism in your CV title as well as your name.
To submit an application please apply by e-mail with a CV attachment using our contact page, or to the following e-mail address, please note that you will need to replace the word “at” with the symbol to prove you are not a machine, sorry for the inconvenience, the address is: HR(at)betterlanguages.com