Apply as a freelance translator to Better Languages if you meet our requirements. We are always looking for great translators and proofreaders. Please note that we get lots of applications, so we can’t reply to every one.
My 7th year with Better Languages; they are one of my most favourite companies to work with. Professional with a human face and great respect for the translator.
Emilia Prekate-Kyminas, Greek Translator
Read how to apply as a freelance translator:
First; do you meet our requirements:
- Are you qualified in translation?
- Do you use SDL Trados or a similar CAT tool?
- Is it your own work, rather than sub-contracting?
- Do you have a specialism you think we will like?
- Does your language pair include English as one of the languages?
If you can say “yes” to all the above, then it is worth applying.
A few essentials when applying as a translator:
- We receive lots of applications, so don’t be offended if you don’t receive a personal acknowledgement. If we are interested, we will contact you.
- We only use professional translators. Please state clearly your qualifications and any professional memberships on your CV.
Our normal expectation is either a first degree level translation qualification, a degree in languages or a specialism and either a post graduate level translation qualification, or professional membership of a recognised translators organisation such as ATA, CIOL, or ITI.
Things to include in your application:
- Please state clearly your language combinations, qualifications, and areas of specialism.
- Your mother tongue – we normally only accept translators translating into their native language. Very few people are genuinely bilingual, having equal command of a second language.
- Please state clearly any CAT tools used on your application.
- Ensure your application and CV is in English. We reject applications in other languages.
Please be aware that quality of written language is part of the selection process, so pay attention to detail, and if non-native it’s worth the time and trouble to get your CV checked by a native English colleague.
- Please state clearly your rates for translation and any other services offered.
- Our standard payment terms are 30 days from invoice date.
- We pay either by UK bank transfer, or make international payments by PayPal. We only make large international transfers by wire transfer by prior agreement.
- When applying you are responsible for ensuring that you have the legal right to work, and that you fulfil any relevant legislation in your country in terms of employment and tax law.
- For intra-community services within the EU, we need a valid tax number to be quoted on your invoices.
- It is very helpful if you include your language combinations and any major specialism in your CV title as well as your name.
Process to apply as a freelance translator:
To apply, please e-mail and attach a CV attachment using our contact page. Include your language pair in the subject line, and be sure to include your rates, and any other important information in your email.