Translation internships at Better Languages
We run a successful Erasmus internship programme working in partnership with EU universities. The majority of placements are for translation masters students, and are an essential part of their studies. We also offer some placements at undergraduate level. Find out more about translation internships at Better Languages.
Internships and Brexit
The UK is currently a full member of the EU, in spite of announcing a formal intention to leave. Erasmus placements are currently unaffected by the Brexit negotiations, but this could change, depending on the agreed settlement. We do not anticipate any change before 2019. We hope Britain and the EU see the shared benefit of continuing Erasmus.
We have a few simple, but important requirements when applying for translation internships
- a high level of proficiency in English and another major European language
- course must be a degree in translation at MA or undergraduate level, or a course with a substantial translation element
- demonstrable interest in translation and the translation industry
- good work ethic, with a willingness to learn, and commitment to personal development
- availability full-time for a minimum of 3-6 months
- Team player, with good interpersonal skills, able to relate well to staff, customers, suppliers and other interns
If you would like to apply as an intern, you also need to ensure that you meet any requirements of your university. You should also check that any specific requirements of the university match our criteria for the placement.
We have had experience of universities placing unreasonable demands, which has resulted in placements not going ahead. Examples have included a university specifying that at least 50% of the placement would be translation – we are very clear that interns will not undertake translation tasks. Placements normally focus on supporting our project managers in QA of translation projects and proofreading. This gives a good understanding of the translation industry, the work of translators, and project managers.
Many of former our students have developed successful careers within the translation industry, either as translators, or as project managers. We positively welcome applications from former interns both as freelance translators, and as project managers.
To apply, please send us a short email via the contact page of our website. Include a CV, and confirmation of the support of your university. We also need two references, one of which should be an academic reference from your current university.
- close professional support by our Translation Project Managers
- training in practical use of Trados Studio
- attractive office environment, close to the centre of Nottingham
- contact with previous interns who will be happy to talk about their experience
We do not offer:
- any kind of funding, placements are Erasmus funded, and therefore you will need to arrange your own financial support through the scheme
- accommodation – but we can put you in contact with previous interns who can advise on their experience of finding accommodation in Nottingham
Translation Management interview:
- We make no guarantees of employment, but we will actively consider interested previous interns for translation project management roles on completion of their studies
Get in touch now to find out about our internships